Tuesday, October 27, 2009

UPDATED Tuesday evening ! I've been knitting socks again !


I apologize that these pictures are not of the quality that I used to take in the old days of my sock-knitting, but I am so tickled to have these finished that I wanted to go ahead and get them posted.

It's been awhile since I finished any socks, and these were not as fun as ones that have an interesting design. It's the second pair that I've made for hubby, finishing his first pair immediately after his first stroke. He was fairly polite then, and accepted them and agreed to wear them whenever I told him he needed special socks for some occasion. But in the last six months, since his more recent strokes, he's shown a new interest, and kept asking when I was going to finish the second pair !
He really likes the color combination on these, as he is quite conservative. I like contrasting heels and toes, myself; it's a favorite feature on some of my own socks. The tan yarn was a gift of a partial skein, from a friend in Oklahoma (on Etsy), and I ran short at the end and had to make the second sock 2 rows shorter than the first (on paper........but it measures the same, so I may have mismarked my sheet). The toes are quite square, because he complained of tightness when I tapered the first pair like I do when I make socks for me. He's happy, though, so I'm satisfied.

The great thing is that now I can pick a fun design to try again !

Quilting-wise, I have most of the interior of the zigzag quilt machine-quilted, and need to decide upon a border quilting design.

Hubby and I enjoy seeing the changing leaves on our daily walks......
...he took quite a few photos a couple of days ago, so I'll share our walk with you.
This tree is right beside my driveway, behind our trailer.......it is the most glorious yellow.....a Maple tree, I think.
These other shots are from the little lane that leads up to our short street. It is just so beautiful, and smells so good........like wet foliage, and bark, and burning leaves, and......Tennessee ! The more beautiful shots included us, and I didn't want to expose you to our old faces........but you get the idea.


UPDATE: 9:00 P.M.

Oh, I'm tired........my back feels like it's breaking......and I'm happy ! Praise the LORD !
I just finished machine-quilting the border of the zigzag quilt. I did it in what turned out to be a plaid design...accidentally, mind you, but a happy accident. I still prefer the look of hand quilting, as it seems to be "in the quilt", rather than "on top of the quilt" (that's what machine-quilting reminds me of with that constant line of thread showing, rather than leaving the blank space between stitches like hand-quilting).


But I'm liking these ones that I'm getting done ! I think they are very nice.........the HodgePodge is on hubby's bed most every night, and by day it gives the room such a happy glow.

4 comments:

  1. YAY for knitting, they look great! Love the fall pictures our trees started dropping the leaves more this past weekend...soon they will be bare : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty trees!!! right now it seems that our whole world up here in NY is orange. very pretty. loving the socks. i wish i was clever enough to make a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad that the sock knitting mojo found you back ! welcome home.

    great view, fall is my favourite seasons of all. thanks for sharing it with me, i cant find such beautiful scenery here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dotty, Hello this dreary overcast morning...one we must make our own sunshine in...=). We can do it! Right? Thank you for visiting me and leaving such a nice comment. I am really enjoying my visit with your blog. Your quilts are gorgeous..I LOVE the colors and designs! Your socks are inspiring! I have to admit I've never knitted socks. Well, I tried to make my 2 year old grandson a pair and when I got to the heel, it was try and try again, then into a box under the bed. Sometime I'll try again. (If I live that long...grin) You've been a blessing to me this morning, thanks...warm regards, Maggie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you........please feel free to leave a comment, even if it's just to say 'hi' !