I love the looks of the randomly pieced backs I've seen some of the young quilters making lately, and I even took a stab at adding a pieced stripe to the back of this Walking Pinwheels baby quilt I'm making. But today when I was quilting, I remembered why I don't piece my backs. I was hand-quilting in the ditch when I came upon a long stretch where there was a seam on the back side and my stitches became an eighth of an inch apart, if not farther ! I'm not worried about the look of it, as these are meant to be used, but it was actually very difficult to do the stitching itself, and I won't be subjecting myself to that again. I'll save the pieced backs for quilts that I know I'm going to machine-quilt. And that'll have to wait until I re-find an inexpensive source for cotton batting. (Now you know I prefer the dimply look of hand quilting over machine-quilting anyway, so it's not like I'm missing something that I'm dying to do !
But on the positive side of things, I quilted on the deck until the heat and rain sent me inside, and then I quilted under the air conditioner most of the afternoon,.......even while my little family was visiting (Chris and Mandy). So, I've already quilted a full third of the quilt, not counting the outside border. It's lookin' good ! Here's a sneak peek............
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil....................She seeketh wool and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Proverbs 31: 10-11, 13
If all goes well, my quiet 'craft til you drop' life will be happily, busily, and oh so temporarily disrupted as of June 21st, and since my challenge quilt (this one) must be done by the 20th, I am working like a maniac ! Some of you know what I'm hinting at, but I don't want to fully spill the beans quite yet ! !)

cute design fabric, nice and sweet!
ReplyDeleteOhh that is going to be so cute! I can't wait to hear what the surprise is. It's raining here today but I can't fuss to much...we need it. : )
ReplyDelete