Oh, no ! Look what you wonderful girls have me doing.............I'm machine-quilting that top I just basted (of course, I thread-basted for my normal hand-quilting, and I have to fight to keep from pulling the basting out with the walking foot !)
I don't know how it'll go, or how the finished quilt will look..........I hope it goes SMOOTHLY, and that I still love the quilt when it's all done. Send your machine-quilting vibes and mojo my way today, 'kay?
EDIT--update : A person could get spoiled on this REALLY FAST ! In a few hours time, I got the entire center of this bed topper quilted by machine. This would have taken me weeks to quilt by hand. Of course, there's a place for each kind of quilting, but it finally dawned on me today that this was not an "heirloom" top, so why not try machine-quilting it ? ! ?
I think the cotton batting is what made the biggest difference between this project and the charity quilt that I tried in April. It had a polyester batting, and the top just ran from the back, causing puckers at the end of stitching lines. I had a little of that trying to happen today, but eased the fullness in with my trusty porcupine quill/stilletto.

I know you can do it and it will be beautiful! Love the picture above and can't wait to see the finished quilt :)
ReplyDeletegood luck today!!! your machine is very pretty...is it old? what kind? does it work well?
ReplyDeleteThe machine is a very old Singer model 15 that is gear-driven instead of belt-driven......which makes it very tough. Yep, she's a tough ol' bird, and we've been sewing together since 1978, but I've never given her a name......I was thinking about that today, thinking of Dee trying to name her machine !
ReplyDeleteShe works like a dream, though, so I suppose she shall remain nameless until she tells me she wants different !
i just got a singer, very old...and wondered if i needed special bobbins? and if you knew where was a good place to get them
ReplyDeleteLeslie, first of all......CONGRATULATIONS on the Singer !
ReplyDeleteI may have bought my bobbins at a Walmart or Hancock Fabrics store.......not sure, but I have a lot, so I've obviously bought several times. Of course, we used to have a Singer store in Shawnee.......I don't know if those still exist or not. You could google "Singer Bobbins", I guess. Or you could just write down your model number and look at packages of bobbins wherever you buy fabric, and hopefully they'd list what machines they fit.
I'm sure we will be seeing a beautiful quiltsoon :0)
ReplyDeleteAnd o boy, that is a very old sewing machine, bet it works better than the modern one (my mum used to say that whenever we want to sell off her"baby")
well dottie dear you forgot the lone star that you made and quilted i have -------you forgot the airplane quilt ---i have a picture of that if you want it----oh my gosh some of these i dont even remember it has been soooooo long why have you made all the ones i am about to start
ReplyDeletei found a pattern for the star my sister wants a quilt using the jewish star so i finally found an old pattern i have and i am gonna make her one wow it will take me forever but i am up to now that i am almost retired,
working a garage sale this week will be glad when i am done.
got your birthday present at hancocks on sale and you will be happy to get it whine whine whine but dont say anything i was so happy to find that they are still making what you need desperatly out there in no mans land
lov ya
jodie
Love you too, Jodie Ann.....did you see how fast that quilt is getting finished. Ooh, whine, whine, whine,......I hope it's cotton classic batting !
ReplyDeleteGreat going Dottie with your DSM quilting, & who says it won't be an heirloom I see plenty of heirloom quilts that are machine quilted. Take a look at Diane Gaudynski's work, wow that's heirloom on a DSM!
ReplyDeleteoh Dottie i was holding out hope that you were the one that might know something about my new machine. it did not have a cabinet or a table just a pretty little wooden locking case to protect it. it is belt driven and has a foot pedal to run the motor...at best i have done a little looking and think it is a electric model from about 1920. i would love to sew with it myself just to see what it can do but it has a shuttle for the bobbin instead of bobbin and i am not sure how to work it.
ReplyDeleteps...you are welcome to contact me by e-mail instead of us going back and forth on blogs...that is if you want to. :o)
ReplyDeletelezlie21(at)aol(dot)com