Friday, October 9, 2009

My Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry......well, mine and a few friends !

Come, have a look at my Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry. I'm off to
find yours ! Click on the link at the top left of my blog for an entire list of entries.


My best thought was to share with all of you online friends a quilt that was helped along by my "in-person" quilting gals !
Many years ago, in a medium sized town, called Shawnee, Oklahoma, there existed a very young quilt guild . Into this guild came ladies of all shapes and sizes, ages and hair color, eager to get to know each other, but frustrated at trying to remember so many names and faces. One thoughtful member hit upon the idea of meeting in each other's home once a month to get to know each other while delivering a block of choice to that month's blessed recipient. At the previous month's regular guild meeting, the chosen quilter would hand out copies of the pattern for her choice of block, along with instruction on what her chosen color scheme would be. Then, on "party night", we'd meet in their home with the finished blocks and refreshments, or, oft-times a few members would bring the fabrics and sewing machine to make the blocks right there on the spot with support from the whole gang !

Well, let me tell you that this was THE MOST FUN way to learn new faces and names, and I was blessed to be honored TWICE, as we kept this tradition going for years.
On my second go 'round, I chose this block, called "Calico Country", from a book by Judy Martin, because I love the look of the spools made from scraps, and our guild's name was "The Spinning Spools". I just requested scraps as my colors, and had the ladies sign the blocks in the lower left-hand corner.

I chose this setting for the blocks, as it allowed me to trim the individual blocks and build them up to a consistent size. I quilted it many years later, and, now that I have moved away, it is a gentle reminder of some wonderful friendships that sustained me through a lonely time away from family. Quilters do that you know.........they fill in the gaps with the batting of understanding, and keep you warm with layers of friendship.

Edit : I just read of a wonderful quilter, donating hours of her time and energy to Project Linus. She has plans to start a machine-quilting business and would appreciate our checking out her site soon. As an added incentive, she's offering an online giveaway......be sure to check out her blog at http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/2009/10/bloggers-quilt-festival.html



Edit II: Added bonus for late lookers
Click on the photo of the geese quilt for the story on my flickr page.

27 comments:

  1. I love this quilt and the story behind it. I would love to be in a group of quilting ladies like that. I also love the country, scrappy look to the quilt. Its just my style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that friendship remains and your quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly wonderful story of a lovely and meaning filled quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love thsi pattern and great use of scraps. Glad you have such great memories of your quilting group

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your quilt and the story about it makes it even nicer. The friends and the memories. And yes, I do love EQ. Couldn't live without it! Thanks for coming to my blog. Come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Quilt ! So glad you shared. ooxx`jodi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both quilts are great but my favorite is the one with the geese. I enjoyed the story about the first quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That geese quilt is awesome! Very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story and the quilt. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Many prayers for you and your husband. Oh, and don't steal my idea for cutting scraps before storing them, take it as my gift to you, and be sure to let me know how that works for you!!

    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotty! Thank you so much for the lovely comment you left on my blog - you have no idea how much it means to me to have another quilter say such nice things! I don't know anyone else who quilts, so the encouragement is really wonderful. Thank you also for your encouragement in opening an Etsy shop. This past Monday was actually my birthday and my Grandparents surprised me with a new (in 1972) sewing machine that is very similar to my old one that I loved (it is a Singer Stylist 514, instead of a 513), so hopefully I can get back to getting the shop open.

    I really love the story behind your quilt guild and wish that I could find a group like that. That quilt is beautiful and even more special now that you have it as a reminder of your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm on round 2 of looking at everyone's quilts :) Love the story that goes with your first one. The Canadian Geese quilt is lovely. We have a flock of them that stays at our middle school for a few weeks every year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool to be part of such a great group. Love your story and quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I love this quilt! I also enjoyed reading the story, and the second quilt with the geese and leaves. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat group to belong to! It sounds like so much fun and such a blessing too!!! Your quilt turned out beautifully. Thanks for visiting my blog. I always enjoy new visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a wonderful story, and a great quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your wonderful quilt!
    Thank you for sharing and your nice comment on my blog.

    geni (nl)
    @ Loose Ends

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dotty, darlin'...pass the hankies please. I love the way you write and your quilts are a reflection of one of the world's biggest hearts! Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I once bought a quilt pattern with similar design..but I never got around to making it-I think I finally gave the pattern away so I'm pleased to see that SOMEONE completed a similar quilt that I can see! It's especially LOVELY because of the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dotty your quilts are beautiful! I love the story behind the quilt blocks. That is such a great idea and a treasure for you to have. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such beautiful quilts, you make me wanna try again : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful! And what a wonderful way to get to know each other. Sounds like an awesome bunch of quilters, but then again, aren't all quilters awesome? LoL Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind comment. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow -- I love your friendship group quilt! I was in a group like that for years -- they're so fun. I love the colors in your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful friendship group. I am trying to make my way through the quilt festival. There are so many lovely quilts to look at.

    Jocelyn
    http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had forgotten how much fun we used to have at the block parties. I was so young but wanted to be a part of it so much. I remember making blocks for most of the parties and loving it! Love you much!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you........please feel free to leave a comment, even if it's just to say 'hi' !